Pregnancy is the most beautiful period in every woman’s life. The biggest thing that comes in the way of a happy pregnancy, is food. Old people at home have their own neanderthal myths and prevent pregnant women from consuming food items of their desire. Always remember a pregnant woman need not focus on a square diet but a smart diet.
Tasty and healthy snacks during pregnancy:
- Salads: Salads can either be made of fruits or vegetables. A salad stuffed with rich fruits or vegetables can be fulfilling and will provide the required amount of calories. Fruits will also prevent women from getting dehydrated soon.
- English muffins: Eggs in English muffins are good source of Choline, a nutrient that most haven’t heard of. Choline is a vitamin-like nutrient that is very much essential for brain development of the fetus
- Fresh cucumbers and carrots are incredible snack items that can be immediately filling and are rich source of nutrients.
- Chickpeas: A long list of snack items can be made out of Chickpeas. Chickpeas can also help you limit the consumption of other junk foods and are highly recommended for pregnant women. It is also choline-rich food and helps you have a check on your obese levels.
- Sprouts: Again a very regular advice, worth mentioning though. Sprouts are good source of protein and a regular intake, at reasonable quantities, will keep the mother fit.
- Guacamole: Guacamole is a healthy snack made out of avocado. Women during pregnancy often suffer from leg cramps. Avocado helps you fight it off and prevent cramps in future.
- Trail mix: A homemade trail mix is a rich nutritional supplement. Trail mix is a mixture of nuts and dried fruits with rich nutritional value. So make you own trail mix with almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, dried apple, honey roasted peanuts and chocolate chips
Most pregnant women find it hard to handle their food cravings. They like things that are either rich in sweet content or that are sour. So here we are listing few alternative:
- A low-fat frozen yogurt is an alternative to ice creams.
- Lime juice or sparkling water with fruit juice can match the longing for soda
- And finally, pizzas, who doesn’t love to have pizzas, especially during the days in with you are craving the most for, nothing else, but food. So try making your own healthy pizzas at home. Use brown rice or wheat pitas for the crust. Then top it with roasted vegetables, tomato slices and a little of grated parmesan.
- Healthy fruits like pineapple and papaya are completely avoided during pregnancy fearing miscarriage or abortion. Though the raw forms of the same cannot be consumed, a reasonable quantity of well-ripened papaya and pineapple can be a part of your.
- Citrus fruits might cause cold: This is absolutely false. Fearing catch of cold and other related diseases pregnant women are asked to avoid citrus fruits completely. Whereas citrus fruits have vitamins that absorb iron required for the body and helps the baby in skin development.
- Vegans lack nutrition: You can be a vegan and still produce a healthy baby as great as non-vegans.
- Being fat is bad: Do not diet during pregnancy. It is absolutely ok to be fat during pregnancy. Other than food there many other healthy biological reasons why women grow fat during pregnancy. Never feel ashamed of eating.
Studies have proven that babies can taste the food that you eat. So remember to eat healthy and tasty food!